Carnage

Had time to get a couple of the vehicles out this weekend. The gkids wanted to take the Slash and Blackout. So charged up a couple packs each and off we went. 

For the most part they missed the trees, but one tree that was right in the middle of everything took some serious hits. But after 5 or 6 head on shots the tree won out. 

Yes the Blackout may be busted up badly, but it took ALOT to do it. Ah well. They make parts everyday… 

The Slash was also on its maiden voyage. While not as fast as the Blackout,, I certainly realized I miss the 2wd action. 

And battery.. I was running 2s 5000’s. The Slash was getting 45 minutes on a pack. Being from the 3800 nimh era, this seemed like witchcraft. 

Time to clean and get ready for round 2


 

Advertisements

We are complete

When I decided to get back in to this rc madness again, I did so with the intent of focusing on bashing. 

Bashing means a lot of different things to people. To me bashing means 2 things. Anything other than organized racing. And pushing the limits of your ride. 

But since I’ve been back there has been something missing. Something that has also been part of my definition of bashing. Something missing that I’ve had my entire rc life. 

But I fixed that last night. 

A Traxxas. I haven’t even taken it outside yet, but just looking under the hood at the long familiar set up makes me feel complete. 

Oh the things I am going to do to this poor truck… 

Gaining weight

For now I am going to leave the stock transmission gears and drive shafts. Once I am 100% sure this is going to be my dedicated puller or I blow something up,, then I’ll upgrade. 

Next up,  weight.  The hobbystock class I will be in is a 10lb class. And right now with battery I weigh 5.125 lbs.  That’s a lot of weight to add. 

Got the lead melter out and found a couple Altoids tins for molds.

The a block made from the lid is 1lb and a full block of the big part of the can is about 2.5 lbs. And are the perfect shape. 

I went with the 2 1lb-ers in the middle and the bigger block up front. 

Once I got everything bolted and zip tied down,  I came up to 9.5 lbs. I intentionally stayed under until I weigh up on the race scale. 

And thats it.  Now it’s tuning. What motor?  What gears? Throttle technique.. 

Snow’d

Its the snow edition. 

We happened to get about a foot of snow Saturday morning. No big deal for us in Wisconsin. 
I got some batteries charging, while clearing the driveway to get some morning driving in.


I was curious as to how the scx10 was gonna handle deep fluffy snow with those skinny tires. And pretty much was exactly like I thought. It just sank right in and would get hung up on the frame.

And its crawling speed just wasn’t giving me the thrills that one expect from a winter snow run.


So we brought out the Blackout XTE. This would be a blast, but still not sure about their waterproof claim, as we shorted out once already in a puddle. But, we will find out.


Now this is what I was expecting. High speed drifting, snow flying everywhere! Really need to bitter tires or something,, but much more exciting.
Still was worried about the electronics,, but never had so much as a stutter, even with being packed with snow.

Going fabricate a cover or something tonight, as we have another storm coming next weekend. 
Thing is though,, while this Redcat Blackout is a great truck,, it makes me miss the Stampede on days like this…

Park run

​(from August 2016)

Finally got to get out and do a little running. Nothing real tough. Just went to the park down the road that has a frisbee golf course. A bunch of trees and branches down and some dirt ruts to crawl around on.

Actually was pretty nice out there. The new steering parts really helped. But it also pointed out how weak and slow of a servo that’s in there. Might have to look into that.